welcome, peeps!

let us be hilarious together, sharing things we have! =D

Friday 19 August 2011

Do you appreciate your grandparents?

Here and there, people would say bad things about you if you neglect your parents. You are as bad as a witch, as bitchy as a Gossip Girl's character and the list goes on and on.

However, do you ever think about grandchild-grandparents relationship??? This is very rare and as the first grandchild in the family from both sides, I think it is important for me to voice out my feelings over this. 

My grandmother from my mother's side is as cunning and funny as 'Grandma Yetta' in the sitcom, 'The Nanny'. 


My grandma would do anything to buy things cheap (It's in the blood! haha)

To begin, last year, my grandmother was attacked! Not by aliens but by the high BP (blood pressure) and the last year scene was not the first time. She's got more than 3 times before and the frequency has made her immobile. Her right arm and right leg are not moving and being an active person, it was awkward at first seeing her lying on the bed more than other normal people do. She also could not utter words perfectly. I sometimes mistakenly understand her words and she even call names we hardly recognize.

Most of the time, I know, she always wants us to be there beside her and it is painful knowing that I am not there with her always. I am far away from her, studying abroad limits our physical contacts. I know the most important thing in relationships is APPRECIATION. Everyone wants to be appreciated and this includes my beautiful grandmother. 

The first half of the first year had me calling her and wanting her to feel my presence but I have changed as the time went by. I avoided her and I very forcefully wanted to push our memories together to the very end of my tiny brain.  It felt like I betrayed my own feeling and I am in denial, wanting the image of her being unhealthy erased and forgotten. Why on earth today I am thinking that I DID THAT TO MY VERY IMPORTANT PERSON IN MY LIFE? If only I would be placed in her shoes, how would I feel? A grandmother needs her grandchild but where was I? Was I not strong emotionally and mentally to handle this? Yes I admit that! But why I rather letting her alone fighting? I should have been giving her moral support and it is an easy task to do! I'm sorry gramma. :(


The cup is for me to pour my love to you, grandma! I heart you.

Until one day, I got involved in a program, having me working with some important people in the country and most of them are older than my parents. A duration of about two months meant a lot to me. I came into a realization that there are no people out there would do anything for me, other than my family members. The thing I am sure is my grandma would sacrifice herself for my own good. If there's a war, she would be in front bench to protect me, without no doubt. 

Today, I want to vow to myself that I would spend more time with my grandma as I know, appreciation is the key in human beings relationships. And people out there, be aware that this also applies to a bf-gf relationship, friend-friend relationship, and others too, just name them all. But still, the statement is general and we sometimes have to avoid some people for good reasons.  

 Just like jigsaw puzzle, the picture won't be perfect if one piece is nowhere to be found. Appreciation is a basic element to complete the bond between a person or a few with the other parties. 










No comments:

Post a Comment